Friday, January 5, 2007

The Right Thing to Do

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- To add to what my colleague wrote below, UF's staff and administration has handled the Nelson issue about as well as they can. While we as journalists want to know how Nelson is, his right to remain silent should be protected now more than ever.

I can't even imagine the level of grief that he must be currently experiencing while simultaneously trying to prepare for the biggest football game of his life, one that has unfortunately become must less significant for him because the person whom he loved the most on this Earth can't be there so share in the moment.

I lost one of my best friends last April after he was hit by a car, and I was sick to my stomach for weeks, and now nine months later it still eats at me.

I can only imagine the amount of pain that losing your mother must cause.

So if Nelson wishes to forever keep his feelings to himself, I'm all ears.

No comments: